1941: Broadcast pioneer Michael R. Hanna establishes the Radio Department at Ithaca College, which was then located in downtown Ithaca. Make-shift radio studios are built in the basement of the Little Theater dressing rooms at 120 E. Buffalo Street (known as the Green Room). This was a grass roots attempt at radio broadcasting. There was very little equipment and no transmitter. The audience was limited to those who could listen to the public address system in adjoining rooms. The call letters WICR were used.
1947: The Radio Department moves to expanded quarters -- a Quonset hut--at 101 W. Court Street (the former site of the Tompkins County Public Library). Known as The Radio Shack, the building features full-sized studios and offices.
1947: Ithaca College applies to the FCC for a non-commercial, educational broadcast license.
1949: FCC grants license to Ithaca College. Call letters WITJ are assigned. The station went on the air with 10 watts at 88.1 MHz. Almost immedietly, Ithaca TV viewers of Rochester TV channel 6 complain about the interference, so the FCC assignes new frequency of 91.7.
1957: New Radio/TV center opens at 124 E. Buffalo Street with complete radio & TV facilities. New call letters of WICB-FM are approved by the FCC. WICB-AM (now 106-VIC) is born. An AM carrier-current transmitter is installed at Cascadilla House (a male residence hall at Cayuga & Cascadilla Streets). The station transmits at 600 kHz.
1964: WICB-AM coverage expanded to the entire South Hill Campus. AM becomes a 7 day a week operation, pumping out the hits from 4pm-midnight.
1966: WICB-AM becomes an affiliate of MBS, the Mutual Broadcasting System, becoming one of the few college stations in the nation with network affiliation.
1968: WICB-AM & FM move to brand-new studios in the Performing Arts Center on the Ithaca College South Hill campus. AM & FM hours expanded to 7-9am and 5pm-1am weekdays; noon to 1am weekends.
1969: MBS affiliation dropped. Stations become ABC affiliates.
1972: Ithaca College applies to the FCC for a construction permit to move tower and transmitter and increase power to 5,500 watts.
1974: WICB-AM retransmitted on Cerrache FM cable at 105.9 MHz for the first time.
1975: New FM construction completed. FCC Issues program test authorization.
12/19/75: WICB-FM signs off 10 watt transmitter for the last time.
1/11/76: WICB-FM signs on with an E.R.P. of 5,500 watts.
1978: WICB-AM adopts call letters of WVIC (Voice of Ithaca College)
1985: Lansing, Michigan station WVIC respectfully requests that Ithaca's station change its call letters. 106-VIC is the new handle.
1989: WICB-FM and 106-VIC move into new studios and offices in the Roy H. Park School of Communications.
1997: 106-VIC begins streaming live programming onto the Internet with RealAudio.
June, 2001: WICB-FM begins streaming live programming onto the Internet.
August 31, 2002: WICB-FM and 106-VIC forced to pull live streams off the Internet due to fees, reporting requirements and content restrictions associated with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998.
November, 2002: WICB-FM and 106-VIC resume streaming thanks to a reprive in the payments for webcasting until October, 2003.
August, 2003: WICB retires the Gates FM-H3 transmitter after 27 years of faithful service. It is replaced with an Armstrong solid state transmitter with an e.r.p. of 5,500 watts.
June, 2007: WICB moves antenna to new Tompkins County communications tower on campus. Increase in antenna height allows power to be lowered to 4,100 watts e.r.p. for same signal coverage.Summer, 2010: Construction completed on IC Radio Technical Operations Center - located to the east of the radio newsroom.Summer, 2010 Complete renovation of VIC air studio
Winter 2010/2011: Complete renovation of WICB air studio